Tuesday, February 28, 2012

It is time, woo

A favorite movie in my family is Heart and Souls. You know the one. Alfre Woodard, Kyra Sedgwick, Charles Grodin, and some other guy die in a bus crash and their souls get attached to a little boy who eventually grows up to become Robert Downey Jr. He forgets about them, then they reappear so he can help them put right what once went wrong, and they all sing Walk Like a Man.

And it's set in San Francisco.

It came on cable our first week here. It was kind of cool. I mean sure, we're from Orange County, but most things aren't filmed behind the Orange Curtain. Hell, The OC was filmed in Redondo and Long Beach.

Earlier this week I was walking along Haight and I heard this familiar noise. San Francisco natives will recognize it as the electrical wires screeching as the bus comes to a stop. But me? I recognized it as the sound that signifies the bus driver is coming to collect another lost soul.



And as I heard it, as I cognitively acknowledged it as the sound associated with the film, another feeling overwhelmed me. This sound that is deeply ingrained in my subconscience has become a part of my every day life.

It's such a little thing, just one snapshot into the day to day realization that this is my life now. This is my home.


No comments:

Post a Comment