Sunday, February 5, 2012

If you're ever down a well, ring my bell

One of the most difficult parts about moving, and something that I've been experiencing lately, is the loneliness. We came up here with a sprinkling of friends and family, most of whom are farther away than I'd realized. That doesn't make them nonexistent. One local friend has already reached out (I was still recovering from the never ending flu), and I have a girl's night on the books with a very dear friend.

But is that enough?

Of course not. After a childhood of dorkiness, I have become a very social person. I like having people to laugh with, girls who are just as strange as I am. So today I did something awesome, something that I'm not ashamed to admit kind of freaked me out.

I went to a speed friending event.

I know, really Maile, what are you even talking about?

Remember that book I devoured this week, MWF Seeking BFF? The author had a signing today in San Francisco! I knew there was a reason that the book was screaming at me on Wednesday. And following the signing, there was a speed friending event. You know, like speed dating, but for friendship. Which is awesome because I've always wanted to do speed dating, but sadly I'm quite happy with Leonard.

And it was nice. I chatted, other women chatted, and in the end I walked away with three phone numbers & email addresses. Will these be my new Bay Area Buddies?

How do we ever know? Eleven years ago could I have foreseen that Claire would one day write a sappy ode to me on her blog? When we were cast in the same show, could I have anticipated that Julie would become the Joey to my Chandler? (Try to fight it Jewels, everyone knows that if anyone is Chandler, it's me). Did I know that Jess would become my penpal, that Marika would become my work bestie, that Traci would be my go-to book buddy?

Of course not.

But all I can do is go in with an open heart, an open mind, and take the steps to making my home in San Francisco a happy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment