Sunday, January 8, 2012

Waiter Rant

Five and a half years ago I was looking for a new job. I had my resume in with employment agency after employment agency. I clicked on link after link that Monster had to offer. And, on a whim, I put in a resume for one serving position. I talked with a manager and was advised to check back in two weeks. Two weeks later I had a phone interview, only a few days before my previous position was ending. Friday September 1st was my final day with that company. I was hired at the restaurant on Saturday the 2nd.

I didn't expect to be there long. I wanted to move to the big city and take steps toward becoming a professional author. Over the past five and a half years my life has changed substantially. My goals have shifted and altered. And yet here I am, moving to the big city and starting a graduate program in Creative Writing.

I love this job. I love the coworkers, I love the food industry and I love interacting with the public. Sure I have bad days (who doesn't?), but truly it's been a great five and a half years.

Tomorrow is my last day at the restaurant. I will cry. Tomorrow I say goodbye to the memories. I say goodbye to the girl I was when I walked in those doors, and smile at the woman I've become.

I have grown professionally and personally because of this job. I have formed friendships that I hope will last a lifetime, and made connections that I will forever treasure.

So thank you dear work friends, for making the past five and a half years so memorable. Thank you for being there through the bad tips, the rude tables, and the burnt food. We've been through some horrible times together, and some amazing ones.

And it is without irony that I say, for perhaps the last time "HB ROCKS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment