Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Goodbye Orange County.

I don’t even have the time to write this blog, but writing keeps me sane. It’s what keeps me going when life is in chaos around me. True confession, I’m writing this in spurts. A minute or two here. Pack. Another few minutes. Pack. And so on.

Tonight is our last night in the apartment. Tomorrow night we’re staying at a friend’s house to get an early start. Tonight is it. We’re in the red. The danger zone. No messing around.

Did I mention how not ready to go we are?

Focus Maile.

The past few days have been loaded with goodbyes. My previous entry touched on my last day at the restaurant. But let me tell you friends, it was even more spectacular. I didn’t really doubt it, but I will be missed. The morning manager went out of her way to make the day special for me. There were hugs, and there was singing, and then there were the tequila shots.

Don’t worry, the shots came later. Hours after I walked out the door, shedding tears that were for my eyes only. Yes, I cried. When I walked away, alone, my last shift truly over. I met my work friends at another restaurant, where we spent hours together. We drank together, had conversations both brilliant and inane. They told me they loved me, and I held back the tears.

Damnit, I’m going to miss those guys. No restaurant will be the same without you.

Then last night we had a little going away thing. I was so tired. So, so, so tired.

But here’s the funny thing. With our friends from last night, with my closest friends from the restaurant – it wasn’t goodbye. It sounds so silly, but it was just see you later.

And we will. We’re only a drive away. My family is still down here, and I’ll see them. You guys know I’ll be back. My cousin’s wedding is this year, and my bff isn’t too far behind her. These are life events that I cannot, and will not miss.

But saying goodbye is hard, yo.

It’s not goodbye. It’s so long, see you soon.

Now I have a spare bedroom to clean out.

Next time friends, I’ll be writing you from San Francisco!

1 comment: