Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The goodbyes are quicker now

I expected to feel more.

It’s my last day at my day job. I haven’t worked here long, maybe six months, but the staff warmed up to me easily. This I think has less to do with my sunny personality and more to do with the fact that it’s a new company. Sure everyone had seniority on me, but in some cases it was only three weeks. I was an important part of the system within weeks, and my voice was always welcome.

Maybe it’s because this isn’t goodbye, not yet. The holiday party is on Thursday. I’m facebook friends with the bulk of my peers, and I’ll be working with the company in a few short weeks at the Fancy Foods Show. Maybe it’s the result of last night’s stress caused insomnia.

Or maybe it’s because Claire and I are already saying goodbye the only way that we know how; publicly and through the written word.

Two weeks ago, we moved into this new office space. I said goodbye to my own office and moved into a temporary shared office. I said goodbye to the dirty warehouse, and moved into a warm, welcoming building.

I knew from the get-go that this was a temporary situation. Not just this office, but the job as a whole. I knew Leonard was applying up North, and I knew that I wanted to start a new life. I had no reason to start working here other than that little voice in my head saying give it a try,

What did this job bring me, aside from a lovely resume booster and day after day with my BFF? Simple: this job reminded me that I have a lot to offer. That there's more to me than meets the eye, and that my creativity is a gift.

How is it already over?

No comments:

Post a Comment