Friday, October 28, 2011

Working Girl

One of the biggest questions that I get is how I will make money after the big move. My friends, I assume, are not asking if I will work the street corners, but rather where I will be legally employed in San Francisco. This issue has haunted my own thoughts, and I admit, has caused me more than a little stress.

I’m currently working two jobs – not something I recommend. I’m completely drained, and I’ve only been doing this since August. As the holidays come closer, I anticipate that my work load will double. Still, as we prepare to move to one of the most expensive cities in the country, every dollar counts. Frankly, I should probably be working more. I am in awe of the people who work 60+ hours a week.

Each of these positions has an opportunity for me in San Francisco. My restaurant position has a very busy location in San Francisco, a location that I’ve planned to transfer to for years. My office position would allow me to work from home, despite the fact that the company is based in Orange County. What would you choose?

As Leonard and I have looked over apartments online, it’s become clear how little we know about our future home. We may wind up a studio. He can study with sound, but I get easily distracted. That, combined with general curiosity about the city, caused me to lean toward waitressing.

Yes, I decided to keep waiting tables.

But really, when you think about it, it’s kind of perfect. I’ll be working with a wide variety of people, all of whom will have budgets close to mine. When I need recommendations for a vet, a hair salon or a good bar, these will be my people. I’ll get to learn about the city from the guests; tourists and locals alike.

Sure, maybe I’m wearing rose colored glasses. Maybe I’m ignoring how physically drained I’ll be, or the fact that I’ll be wearing all white for another year of my life. Maybe I’m forgetting how frustrating waiting tables can be at times.

Maybe there’s a magic third option that will jump out at me when I least expect it.

But when it comes right down to it, working in the heart of my new city seems a lot more stimulating than spending day after day cooped up in my (likely) cramped apartment. And really, I love working with people. Other people make me more productive.

Most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment