Friday, August 17, 2012

Thanks for the Memories

Like all parents, my mother is a product of her time. For some this includes conservative values and black and white television. For mine it's rock 'n roll. For many years I was the one with abnormal taste. My mom would want to listen to the radio while I'd only want to blast my showtunes.

Let's get real. I'd still rather blast my showtunes.

I'm not sure if KLOS was always her favorite station, but it's the only one that I remember listening to. As I grew older and my car no longer had a place to blast my beloved Broadway it became my own station of choice. My memories of my mother aren't limited to music. I have memories connected to morning radio and listening about two wacky hosts talking about Elvis.

Mark and Brian.

I didn't listen to them much as I got older. Not because I disliked them or my mother. It's that other thing I disliked.

Mornings.

So not a morning person.

But when I was awake, when I was driving for whatever reason, 95.5 was on the dial.

I just found out that today was their last show. After twenty five years, after being on the radio as long as I can remember, they said goodbye. So from the Bay Area, before I've had a chance to listen to the online show, I just have to say thank you.

Thank you for the laughter. Thank you for letting us into your crazy lives. Hell, thank you for talking about football so much that I chose to follow two amazing teams last season.

If I hadn't moved, would I be listening to the show this morning? Would I have dragged my lazy self out of bed so that I could say goodbye?

I'd like to think so.

Mark, California will miss you. Brian, I look forward to your podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment