Saturday, January 14, 2012

Root, Root, Root for the Home Team.

I’m not what one would call a sports fan. My family raised me with a basic understanding of baseball, and a team to root for (Go Yankees!). But otherwise, not really my scene. I hate the rivalries that come with sports, and cringe at how many comments this heartfelt entry will receive that consist simply of “Yankees Suck!”

Okay, so I do regularly text one of my dearest friends whenever one of my teams beats her Red Sox, but that’s just comedy gold.

That said, there is one aspect of sports that I really enjoy. This is when it can bring people together. When people can bond of their mutual enjoyment of this event, and get invested in the stories of the teams. I like live games for this reason; the social aspect of sports appeals to me.

Earlier this year, when I had my day job, I would listen to a lot of morning radio. This was just at the beginning of football season, and I wanted to be able to follow the news reports. I put up a facebook message asking for who I should root for, and after quite a few suggestions I decided on the 49ers.* This was in large part due to my plans to move out here. For those of you who don’t follow sports, today was a big game.

This afternoon I was shopping at Trader Joes. In the middle of my shopping trip they made an announcement over the loudspeaker. The 49ers had won the game!

They made an announcement in the supermarket that the local football team had won a big game.

Forgive me for being glib, but that wouldn’t happen in Orange County.

And for that memory, that moment when I realized this is my home, this is my home team, this is my city’s victory, that memory has sealed my fate.

I am a fan of the San Francisco 49ers.

More than anything else in the past 24 hours, that stupid football game showed me that my life really has changed more than just an apartment with a spectacular view.



*I also decided to root for the Giants. Well, really I root for both Giants. NY Giants and SF Giants. But I already rooted for the baseball team; rooting for the football team is new.

3 comments:

  1. Cory and I were in a French Restaurant when the 49ers won. The entire place exploded. You are TOTALLY where you need to be if you want a community of fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean you are going to drop the Yanks and root for the Giants too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giants are my National League team. Dodgers and Mets never made the cut.

      Delete